It can be frustrating to constantly have to chase after your hat, or worse, lose it altogether.
Luckily, there are several tips and tricks that can help keep your cowboy hat in place.
One simple way to keep a cowboy hat from blowing off is to use a scarf or bandana.
Simply tie the scarf or bandana around your head, over the hat, and under your chin.
This will help keep the hat in place, even in strong winds. Another effective way to keep your cowboy hat from blowing off is to use a cap retainer, such as Capsurz®.
These retainers attach to the inside band of any hat. They use stainless steel clips to keep the hat securely in place.
With these tips and tricks, you can enjoy wearing your cowboy hat without worrying about it flying off in the wind.
Choosing the Right Hat
Choosing the right cowboy hat is crucial in keeping it from blowing off your head. Here are a few things to consider when selecting a hat:
- Size: Make sure to measure your head and choose a hat that fits snugly without being too tight. A hat that is too small will be uncomfortable, while a hat that is too big will easily blow off.
- Shape: Consider the shape of your face when choosing a hat. A rounded cowboy hat with a curved brim can help counter a strong jawline. While a wide-brimmed hat is better for those with a wider forehead and strong cheekbones.
- Material: Cowboy hats come in a variety of materials, including felt, straw, and leather. Choose a material that suits your needs and the climate you’ll be wearing the hat in.
When trying on hats, be sure to wear your hair the way you normally would.
Also try the hat on with any accessories you plan to wear, such as scarves or bandanas.
Don’t forget to consider the purpose of the hat. If you plan on wearing it for outdoor activities like horseback riding, choose a hat with a chin strap to keep it secure.
Checkout our white cowboy hat roundup
Section 3: Adjusting the Fit
One of the most important factors in keeping your cowboy hat from blowing off is ensuring a proper fit.
A hat that is too loose will easily fly off in the wind. A hat that is too tight can cause discomfort and headaches.
Here are a few tips for adjusting the fit of your cowboy hat:
- Use foam inserts: If your hat is slightly too big, consider using foam inserts like these to adjust the fit. These inserts can be placed inside the hat band to provide a snugger fit.
- Adjust the hat band: Most cowboy hats come with a hat band that can be adjusted to fit your head. If your hat is too loose, try tightening the hat band by moving the adjustable strap or tie.
- Consider a custom fit: If you wear your cowboy hat frequently, it may be worth investing in a custom fit. Many hat makers offer this service, which involves measuring your head and creating a hat that fits perfectly.
Remember, a properly fitting cowboy hat is essential for both comfort and practicality.
Take the time to adjust your hat for the best fit possible.
That way you’ll be able to enjoy your hat without worrying about it blowing off in the wind.
Using a Chin Strap
If you want to ensure that your cowboy hat stays on your head, even during windy conditions, using a chin strap is a great option.
A chin strap is a piece of string or leather that is attached to the sides of the cowboy hat.
As the name suggests, it goes under the chin to hold the hat in place.
Here are the steps to attach a chin strap to your cowboy hat:
- Locate the small opening between the crown and sweatband of your cowboy hat.
- Insert one end of the chin strap through the opening and pull it through until both ends are even.
- Attach each end of the chin strap to the chin strap hooks located on either side of the hat.
- Adjust the length of the chin strap so that it fits comfortably under your chin without being too tight or too loose.
It is important to note that not all cowboy hats come with chin straps. So you may need to purchase one separately.
Additionally, some chin straps may be adjustable, while others may not be.
Make sure to choose a chin strap that fits your hat properly and is comfortable to wear.
Using a chin strap is especially important if you plan on riding a horse or working with cattle.
Because the wind and movement can easily knock your hat off.
By attaching a chin strap to your cowboy hat, you can ensure that your hat stays in place.
This is important because it protects your head from the sun and other elements.
Wearing a Hat Clip
This next option won’t keep your hat on your head.
But it is great for keeping your hat secured to a piece of clothing or luggage to stop it blowing away while you’re not wearing it.
It’s called a hat clip.
A hat clip is a small device that attaches to the inside band of your hat.
It then also clips onto your shirt collar, jacket, or suitcase.
It helps to keep your hat securely in place, even in windy conditions.
You can attach it to any bag, including a backpack or travel bag.
There are different types of hat clips available, including magnetic clips and traditional metal clips.
Magnetic clips are easy to attach and remove, but they may not be as secure as metal clips.
Metal clips are more durable and provide a stronger hold. But they can be more difficult to get on and off (you might need pliers).
When using a hat clip, it’s important to make sure it’s attached securely to both your hat and your bag or clothing.
A loose clip can cause your hat to fly off in the wind.
You should also be careful not to attach the clip too tightly, as it can cause damage to your hat.
If you’re interested in using a hat clip, you can find them at most western wear stores or online retailers.
Make sure to choose a clip compatible with your hat and clothing.
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for attaching and using the clip.
Tying a Stampede String
One of the most effective ways to keep your cowboy hat from blowing off is to use a stampede string.
A stampede string is a piece of cord or leather that attaches to the inside of your hat and wraps around your chin to keep the hat in place.
Here’s how to tie a stampede string:
- Measure the length of the stampede string to fit comfortably around your head when wearing the hat.
- Cut the string to the desired length.
- Thread one end of the string through the hole (if there is no hole you can create one using a pin or needle) on the side of the hat, just above the brim.
- Tie a knot in the end of the string to secure it to the hat.
- Repeat on the other side of the hat with the other end of the string.
- Adjust the length of the string so that it fits snugly under your chin.
When tying the knot, make sure it is tight enough to hold the string in place, but not so tight that it damages the hat.
You can also use a slip knot if you want to be able to adjust the tightness of the string easily.
Here’s a great video that shows you how to attach a stampede string to your cowboy hat:
Keep in mind that stampede strings come in a variety of styles and materials, so choose one that fits your hat and personal style.
Some stampede strings even come with decorative beads or feathers.
Keeping your cowboy hat from blowing off can be a challenge, but with the right techniques, you can avoid losing your hat in the wind.
Remember to choose a hat that fits snugly on your head without being too tight, and use a hatband or scarf to keep it in place.
If you’re worried about losing your hat while riding, consider using a hat clip or retainer to secure it to your shirt or jacket.
Another important factor to consider is the weather.
If it’s particularly windy outside, you may want to choose a different style of hat or opt for a hat with a shorter brim.
Additionally, if you’re riding a horse or engaging in other outdoor activities, make sure to adjust your hat as needed to keep it from flying off.
By following these tips and tricks, you can keep your cowboy hat securely on your head and enjoy all the benefits of this iconic Western accessory.
Whether you’re out on the ranch or just taking a stroll around town, your cowboy hat will stay put and keep you looking stylish.
I hope you enjoyed this post and found it useful.
Thanks for reading 🙂